Thursday, December 30, 2010

Los Angeles gal gone Venetian...Where do I start?

It's tough being a first time blogger. What on earth will I say that hasn't already been said? 

First, how about a formal introduction? You know, those things we used to do face-to-face; perhaps with a bold handshake, or a blushing smile. Sound romantic? That's because it is, and so am I.

My name is Marie, and I live in the Venetian (as in Venice, Italy) countryside. I adore and use internet just like the most loyal Facebook soldier, and find myself spending more and more time in my cozy study poking away at the keyboard. Yet, with all the time I spend writing--a task I've become addicted to in the last few years--I find little else more comforting than turning the pages of a good book, or sipping a glass of red Valpolicella ripasso (ripasso for those who may not know is wine passed through and aged in at least two types of wood barrels). Preferably the sipping takes place while I'm stirring a simmering pot of radicchio risotto to win and warm the  hearts and stomachs of my family. That's what I like. Simple stuff. Me, a once upon a time yuppie banker from Los Angeles, California, found love and happiness in Venice, Italy, and went from making reservations at the latest restaurants on the westside of L.A. to whipping up some of the best Italian meals on my very own kitchen stove! (Well most of the time, I still make great reservations!)

Now, the next step is up to you...anyone who finds their way to my blog...just go ahead and ask, and I will be happy to share a recipe or two; maybe even add a tale or two about what it's like for a former L.A. gal living in Venice.

11 comments:

  1. Wow I get to be you first comment. Thank you for sharing life in Italy. Someday I would love to visit there. Any yummy recipie would be wonderful...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome Lucinda! How nice to have my first blog comment...will be sharing and blogging much more, very soon. A presto!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love anything Italian, because I am! I am happy to see you started a blog Marie. I have 3 now. You can visit my Italian one here.
    http://appassionatopomodoro.blogspot.com/
    fondly, Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Molto bene, Marie. More on wine and good places to visit for the Italian novice. Ciao

    ReplyDelete
  5. E'stato fantastico!
    thank you marie. i will love following your blog.
    i hope you and your family have a wonderful new year ahead of you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ciao Maria, This is fantastico !! I really enjoyed the read, keep it coming. Good luck Dyane

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you all for your comments, and making my first blogging experience a positive one! I'm hooked, and am really happy and surprised to see how many people have viewed the pages...more than 200 viewings in less than 48hours! I look forward to writing and hearing from you with new posts, recipes and stories. Feel free to pass the blog link onto your friends and family...and HAPPY NEW YEAR! Marie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Marie, welcome to the blogging world, and thanks for sharing your life with us. We miss you here in America. I'm looking forward to trying your yummy Italian recipes...as I, too, am half Italian. I haven't made the risotto, yet, but will do so very soon.
    Happy New Year.
    PS Did you get my Christmas Card?
    Joan Day

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Joan. I just double checked, and no I didn't receive your Christmas card. I did get your blog newsletter, though. It's lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Marie. Remember me? It is your little "soupbone" from back East. How cool to find this. I just sent this site over to Dyane. Keep up the good work. Happy New Year too. PS. I was in Cortina 3 weeks ago. I was going to make a surprise visit but ran out of time.....

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Soupbone! How nice to see your comment this morning, and I'm so glad you found my blog, too. If you want you can "follow" me. It's easy to do. And thanks for sharing it, "the more the merrier". I'm sorry I missed you on your trip, but I'd love to see you next time you're in my neighborhood. Have a Happy New Year. Un bacio...

    ReplyDelete